Get more productive and start meeting your goals when you have some accountability. Start by looking at daily vs weekly planners. Both weekly planners and daily planners have their advantages.
The biggest difference between these planner types is the layout. Are you someone who wants to focus on the smaller details? If so, a daily planner is a better option. However, if you are more focused on the big picture, a weekly planner will likely serve you best.
General Pros and Cons
Looking at the general pros and cons of each planner type helps you to get a solid start. Use this information to start narrowing down which type of planner fits your lifestyle and preferences the most.
Pros of Weekly Planners
- You can view your week and the related responsibilities in advance
- It is a good choice when you are working with a tight schedule and many activities that you must attend
- There is plenty of space to plan the schedules of several people, making it a good choice for families
- You can find several sizes so that it is easy to choose one that meets your space requirements
- Most of these planners have multiple sections, such as scheduling, goal setting, checklists, and meal planning
- The layouts tend to be straightforward
- It is easier to plan the details of individual days
- Weekly planners tend to be better for those using their planner for habit tracking
Cons of Weekly Planners
- It can be overwhelming to choose a layout because there are so many
- Some may be too big to carry with you
Pros of Daily Planners
- A daily planner can improve your time management since it lets you schedule all of your day’s individual events and responsibilities
- You can review your planner to determine your level of productivity to see where you can make improvements
- Being able to schedule your days can help to reduce stress since you will go into each day with a plan
- There is space for things like planning your day’s meals or creating shopping and to-do lists
- Use a daily planner to track what you are grateful for
- Some daily planners have scripture verses or non-religious daily inspirations so that you can start the day off in a positive light
Cons of Daily Planners
- Daily planners are not as focused on long-term goals compared to weekly planners
- They tend to be thicker since there is more space for each individual day compared to other types of planners
A Closer Look at Weekly Planners
A weekly planner typically uses two pages to show you your entire week. They generally start on Monday and end on Sunday. The weekdays tend to have more space compared to the weekend days.
You make daily plans with this type of planner, but it allows you to preview your entire week. If you like to keep your weekly plans more flexible, this is a good planner choice for you.
You will find weekly planners that have a horizontal spread or a vertical spread. If you like to have your days broken down into night, afternoon and morning, a vertical spread is the best option for you. However, if you prefer to have a more linear layout, you should look at horizontal layouts.
Weekly planners usually have plenty of space for things like to-do and shopping lists. Most of the pages have some blank or open space, giving you a lot of freedom regarding what you write. In addition to the planned-out spaces, you also usually get some blank pages that you can use how you see fit.
These planners are a good choice for short-term goals. There is typically space to write out your goals and track if you are hitting the necessary milestones. You can then go back to previous weeks to determine if you are on track.
Weekly planners tend to give you more space in the different sections. This allows you to concentrate more on specific elements, such as habits or meals plans. If you have certain days of the week that tend to be busier than others, this type of layout can be particularly beneficial.
When you are shopping for a weekly planner, there are four things that your planner must-have. When these features are present, it is easier to take full advantage of what a weekly planner has to offer. These features include:
- Adequate space to write notes, reminders that are important, dates and tasks
- A layout that matches your planning objectives
- A monthly preview before each month
- A lot of white space
Exploring the Details of Daily Planners
Daily planners let you get more specific regarding your daily goals and responsibilities. There is typically more space for each day so that you can concentrate more on day-to-day planning. This also lets you put more emphasis on your short-term goals or the smaller steps that you are taking to accomplish your long-term goals.
You can use this planner to detail your days. Go hour by hour if this is what you prefer. There is space to insert times so that it is easier to see how much time you have in between different tasks. With each responsibility or task, you typically have space for extra notes too.
Since you usually get a full page for each day, you have a lot of flexibility regarding customization and organization. Due to the page space that you get, you can use things like a variety of writing instruments and washi tape to personalize the layout of your planner.
Use the tops of the pages to write something inspirational and set off a small box for daily gratitude or affirmations. Create graphs and charts in the white space for things like your budget or for tracking goals like weight loss.
Since these planners are usually undated, you can start using one at any time. You can even skip days, depending on your preferences.
Looking at planners like the daily one from Clever Fox shows that they can have different sections on the pages, such as finance, health, and personal development. With specific sections for these, it is easy to make plans and set goals for things within these categories.
Use the blank spaces for things like a vision board. For example, if you want to work toward a vacation, create a vision board for where you want to go, your plans to afford it, and other related information.
If you prefer to use a daily planner, it is important that you choose one with the right features for your preferences. Look for the following features with your daily planner:
- Each day gets its own page for plenty of writing and planning space
- If you like to organize tasks, a time-blocking schedule feature is handy
- A lot of white space to allow for personalization
- Space for specific events and activities, such as events or appointments
- A layout that includes elements that are important to you, such as space for gratitude or inspiration
Choosing the Right Planner
Now that you have the details about weekly and daily planners, it is time to look at some additional information. This will allow you to choose the details you need for your planner so that once you receive it, you can start taking full advantage of what the planner has to offer.
The overall size of your planner is one of the most important considerations. If you want a planner that is easy to carry around with you, choose one that is six by nine or five by eight inches. Planners of this size will usually fit into a briefcase or handbag with ease.
Next, it is time to pick a layout. Choosing weekly or daily is the biggest part of this decision. However, both weekly and daily planners come in multiple layout options. For example, do you need a large or a small calendar? Or, do you want a specific section focused on your goals or habits?
It is important to find a layout that provides sections for everything that is important to you. Write down the layout features that you need and use this list as a guide when you are searching for the perfect planner layout.
What type of binding do you prefer? Rings make it easier for the planner to lay flat. In some cases, rings also open so that you can add or remove pages. However, bookbinding has a classic look and tends to be highly durable.
Consider the paper quality. If you like to use a lot of writing utensils, from markers to basic pens, you want a paper that is at least 120 gsm. This is high-quality and helps to prevent various ink types from bleeding through.
You also need to think about the extras. For example, pockets, built-in bookmarks or a pen loop. All of these extras make using a planner more convenient. Think about the ones that will make using a planner easy and convenient for you.
Check the type of cover that the planner has. You want to make sure that your planner is durable and able to withstand frequent use since you will be using it every day.
If you carry your planner with you, a hardcover is going to be your best option. However, if you want a cover that you can manipulate, such as drawing on it, you should consider a softcover.
With all of this information, you now know everything that you need to determine if a weekly planner or a daily planner will work the best for you. It is a good idea to print out this guide so that you can have it handy when you are evaluating how you will use your planner.
From here, the next step is choosing the planner that best fits your needs. Whether you need a weekly planner recommendation or a monthly planner recommendation, Clever Fox planners will work for you.
You will find that Clever Fox has a variety of planner styles. Not only can you choose between weekly or daily, but also from different layouts and features. This helps to ensure that once you do settle on a planner, it will meet your needs.
Once you receive your planner and start using it, it will not be long before you notice that your life becomes more organized and you are more productive.